Thursday, January 8, 2015

The Blueberry Experiment

I use so many different colors of wool in my needle felting, I've wondered if it would be worthwhile to learn how to dye my own. After a quick Google search of the subject, I came across an article called Making Natural Dyes from Plants. The method is actually surprisingly simple, so I decided to give it a try.

For my experiment, I decided to use blueberries. Those little bastards stain things without even trying, so I figured they'd work well. And of course, they have a pretty color. Anyway, here is the result:

As you can see, the color isn't very even. I assume this is because I added too much wool to the dye bath, as not all of it could be completely submerged. But I like the variation, so I'm happy with it regardless.

It was fun to give this a try, but with as time-consuming as the process is, I don't think I'll make it a regular practice at this point. Though I certainly look forward to trying this again in the springtime, when I can use the plants growing around my neighborhood. Don't worry, I'll share those results with you as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment